This week's guest is composer, producer, and recording artist Morgan Kibby. Morgan spent seven years as a member of the band M83, during which time she played, wrote, and sang on two albums, including the Grammy nominated "Hurry Up, We're Dreaming." Since leaving the band, Morgan has contributed songwriting and production for artists such as Panic at the Disco, Harry Styles, and Lady Gaga. She also releases her own music under the moniker White Sea, including remixes for tracks by Lorde and the Weeknd, as well as trailers for movies such as "Harry Potter". In 2015 Morgan shifted her focus to scoring and since has done projects for Amazon, Netflix, and Hulu. We chat about balancing your passions, shifting focus mid career, defining success, and having seasons of "yes" in your career.
In this episode, we'll dig in on...
- Playing and touring with M83
- Thriving on collaboration
- The journey to find your voice as an artist
- Headlining the Hollywood Bowl
- Scoring a film with before it was filmed
- Not chasing what you think people want to hear
- The mental and physical toll of touring
- The importance of studying what fascinates you
- Synths don't always have to be "80s"
- How music theory comes into play
- Being selective of what you work on
- Attending the Sundance Lab
- Canne Film Festival
- Surrounding yourself with people you trust
- Always learning
Learn More About Morgan Kibby...
The Beats Accelerator Process: http://beatsaccelerator.com/
The Complete Producer Network: https://www.completeproducer.net/
Support the show on Patreon!
Gear and Recommended Reading: https://kit.co/travisference
Sign up for the Progressions Mailing List!
Learn more about Travis: https://www.travisference.com/
Guest: Morgan Kibby
Host: Travis Ference
Editor: Travis Ference
Theme Music: inter.ference