This week's guest is London based mixer and mastering engineer Manon Grandjean. Manon has spent much of her time lately working with UK chart topping grime and hiphop artists such as Stormzy, Dave, Fredo, and AJ Tracey. Some of her other credits include London Grammar, Craig David, Birdy, and Nao. In 2017 she was named "Breakthrough Engineer of the Year" by the Music Producers Guild and then followed that with "Recording Engineer of the Year" in 2018. We chat about freelancing in London, realizing the power of templates, and how career perfectionism is different from project perfectionism.
In this episode, we'll dig in on...
- How smaller budgets change the way young engineers learn to record
- Mastering your own mixes
- Career spanning perfectionism vs project based perfectionism
- Freelance engineering and assisting at multiple studios to pay the bills
- Picking a good manager that is on the same page as you
- Realizing the power of having a recording template
- Being classically trained on guitar and harp growing up
- Growing up interested in science and discovering recording as the combination of music and science
- The importance of having a setup that is ready to go at all times
- Winning Breakthrough Engineer of the Year
- Transitioning from engineering to mixing
- Always pushing yourself and learning
Learn More About Manon Grandjean...
Sign Up for Complete Producer Network HERE!
Get on the Waitlist for The Beats Accelerator Process HERE!
Get on the Waitlist for The Mix Accelerator Process HERE!
Join my Studiocast.io Studio and get behind the scenes of Progressions!
Support Progressions on Patreon!
Sign up for the Progressions Mailing List
Learn more about Travis: https://www.travisference.com/
Guest: Manon Grandjean
Host: Travis Ference
Editor: Travis Ference
Theme Music: inter.ference