This week's guest is London based producer, engineer, and mixer Guy Massey. Guy is a Grammy and Music Producer Guild award winner that came up through the legendary Abbey Road Studios. He’s worked on projects for artists such as Ed Sheeran, Kylie Minogue, Ajimal, Ray Davies, Spiritualized, and The Beatles. He's also been involved in movie soundtracks such as "Yesterday" and "Rocket Man" as well as various other projects. We have a chat about the future of immersive audio, the importance of making mistakes on your own time, and why if you want to get great at something you have to enjoy it.
In this episode, we'll dig in on...
- Being inspired to be the best you can by the history of the studio you're working in
- Locking up multiple tape machines for film sessions
- Working on Beatles Remasters
- Defining success as having a quiet confidence
- Coming up through the legendary Abbey Road
- U67s on everything!
- Reamping things in studio to use as ambience for 5.1 Surround mixes
- Dolby Atmos and the future of immersive audio
- Everything is in service to the song
- Learning to make things sound as good as possible with a limited palette
- Casting your influences wide and listen to A LOT of music.
- Comparing vintage mics and picking the best parts.
- Going freelance to work on the opportunities you are passionate about
Learn More About Guy Massey...
Get on the waitlist for The Mix Accelerator Process HERE!
Sign Up for Complete Producer Network HERE!
Get on the Waitlist for The Beats Accelerator Process HERE!
Support the show on Patreon!
Gear and Recommended Reading: https://kit.co/travisference
Sign up for the Progressions Mailing List!
Learn more about Travis: https://www.travisference.com/
Guest: Guy Massey
Host: Travis Ference
Editor: Travis Ference
Theme Music: inter.ference