Voicing Microphones, Cryogenics, and the School of Experience | with Derek Bargaehr of Vanguard Audio Labs
Today’s guest is engineer, audio technician, and microphone designer Derek Bargaehr. Derek is the the Chief Everything Officer and co-founder of Vanguard Audio Labs. He created Vanguard to give musicians and recording engineers access to great and affordable tools and since then his mics have been added to mic lockers all over the world. We have a great chat about microphone design, understanding your tools, using polar patterns and mic placement to change frequency response, and the difference between studying the theory vs learning by doing.
In this episode we'll dig in on...
- Voicing Microphones
- Not wanting to build clone microphones
- Why vintage mics sound different
- Reading schematics
- Theory vs Execution
- Building guitar pedals
- Cryogenically freezing components
- Noise floor
- Using polar pattern and mic placement to adjust frequency response
- Building a brand based on word of mouth and guerrilla marketing
- Why you should avoid buying new tools until you learn the ones you have
- Interning and working for Avantone
- Why relationships matter in the music industry
- Understanding electronics
Mentioned in the Interview:
Travis' Intro: The School of Experience
Learn More About Derek Bargaehr and Vanguard Audio Labs...
📢 Our Sponsors 📢
Check out oeksound. The makers of Soothe2 and Spiff!
Sign Up for Complete Producer Network!
Crescendo: The World's First Subscription Mixing Service
Listen to Secret Sonics!
🙏 Support the Show 🙏
Support Progressions on Patreon!
Sign up for the Progressions Mailing List
Learn more about Travis: https://www.travisference.com/
Affiliate Links (aka Support the Show AND Get Stuff):
Soundflow - Speed up your workflow!
Check out the Progressions Podcast Setup
Riverside.fm - Video Interview Platform
Captivate.fm - Start your own Podcast!
Guest: Derek Bargaehr
Host: Travis Ference
Editor: Stephen Boyd
Theme Music: inter.ference