This week's guest is Dan Johnson, owner and chief engineer of Audio Archiving Services based out of Hollywood. Dan has become one of the leading experts on the archival of analog tape and has dedicated his career to preserving music history. He has archived over 10,000 reels of tape, some of which are the best selling albums of all time, and has been a featured speaker on panels at both NAMM and AES. We have a fun chat about his 20+ years in the studio business, the path that led him to becoming an archivist, the challenges and advantages of starting your own business, and how he earned the nickname "Dan the Muffin Man" while working with Michael Jackson.
In this episode, we'll dig in on...
- Learning to run a business from the ground up
- Preserving music history
- Working hard because there is always someone ready to take your job
- Analog tape: Alignment, maintenance, history
- The challenge of find good working tape machines
- Going independent during the Recession.
- No sleep 1990s studio life
Learn More About Dan Johnson and Audio Archiving Services...
The Complete Producer Network: https://the-complete-producer.mn.co/
Sign up for the Progressions Mailing List!
Learn more about Travis: https://www.travisference.com/
Guest: Dan Johnson
Host: Travis Ference
Editor: Travis Ference
Theme Music: inter.ference