This week’s guest is producer and mixer Carl Bahner. Carl has mastered the art of working remotely, having worked with artists in 16 countries. His credits include artists such as Transviolet, St Lucia, Joywave, and Hippo Campus. Prior to working full time behind the glass Carl toured all over North America and the UK playing drums for the band Cheerleader. In addition to all that, he coaches fellow engineers and producers on how to build client rosters full of music they are passionate about and hosts a music business podcast that promotes self-reflection and proactivity. We have a great chat about input vs output goals, narrowing your target audience, and the importance of making decision based on passion.
In this episode, we'll dig in on...
- Work ethic and determination
- Asking yourself "Why is this important to me" before taking a gig
- The musician hustle: Gigs, sessions, lessons
- Building a studio
- Caring why you press a button, not what the button does
- Knowing when to use your music theory and when to not
- Positioning yourself for success
- Setting aside time for client outreach
- Learning to do remixes by passing time on the tour bus
- Remote assistants and delegation
- Earning and deserving word of mouth
Learn More About Carl Bahner...
Listen to Carl's "Thanks for Thinking" podcast HERE!
Sign Up for Complete Producer Network HERE!
Get on the Waitlist for The Beats Accelerator Process HERE!
Get on the Waitlist for The Mix Accelerator Process HERE!
Support the show on Patreon!
Gear and Recommended Reading: https://kit.co/travisference
Sign up for the Progressions Mailing List!
Learn more about Travis: https://www.travisference.com/
Guest: Carl Bahner
Host: Travis Ference
Editor: Stephen Boyd
Theme Music: inter.ference