This week’s guest is Nashville based mixing engineer Billy Decker. Billy is most known for mixing a lot of hits, and mixing them fast. His credits include 16 Billboard #1's and artists such as Sam Hunt, Chris Young, Rodney Atkins, and Cassadee Pope. In the studio he works very quickly, finishing mixes in about an hour. He’s written a book about his process called "Template Mixing and Mastering" and has also done a course for Pro Mix Academy on the same topic. We chat about the “how” and “why” of working fast, the importance of superior customer service, and the advantages of specializing.
In this episode, we'll dig in on...
- The "Why" for working fast
- Mixing with Templates
- How specializing can work in your favor
- Understanding your pricing and your hourly
- Being a signed songwriter and then becoming an engineer
- Choosing a "great hang" or superior customer service over raw engineering ability
- Nashville songwriting demo studios
- Producers now vs producer 20 years ago
- Delivering quality from home studios
- Using drum samples
- Work-Life Balance
- The importance of having interests outside the studio
- Taking the time to save templates for everything you do
Learn More About Billy Decker...
Check out his book "Template Mixing and Mastering" HERE
Check out the Pro Mix Academy course HERE
📢 Our Sponsors 📢
Check out oeksound. The makers of Soothe2 and Spiff!
Sign Up for Complete Producer Network!
Listen to Secret Sonics!
🙏 Progressions the Show 🙏
Support Progressions on Patreon!
Sign up for the Progressions Mailing List
Learn more about Travis: https://www.travisference.com/
Affiliate Links (aka Support the Show AND Get Stuff):
Soundflow - Speed up your workflow!
Riverside.fm - Video Interview Platform
Captivate.fm - Start your own Podcast!
Guest: Billy Decker
Host: Travis Ference
Editor: Jannick Frampton & Travis Ference
Audio Restoration: Stephen Boyd
Theme Music: inter.ference